Monday, June 18, 2012

Matt completed his first jump today.  He started the day with a 1:53 a.m. text to me saying he'd call me as soon as he had his phone and "I love you."  I was calmly worrried all day.  He finally called about 4:00 p.m. and said they were done.  He said he was freaking out on the plane (silently, to himself) and was the last to jump.  Because of that he was at the end of the drop zone and heading for the trees.  That freaked him out, too.  He was able to guide himself away and had a good landing.  He's ready to do it again tomorrow.  My 30/30 prayer commitment is easy with a son like Matt.  30 minutes of prayer a day for 30 days.  I know I'm praying way more than that!

Although he hasn't loved every minute of this experience, he keeps reiterating that he's doing this because he wants to serve his country and for what he loves and misses back home.  I think in a text to Chris he said he was tired of being lazy while other people were defending his freedom.

It's so strange to be with him when he's in uniform and watch people thank him for his service.  That makes me cry.  Everytime I have to call USAA about his car insurance they say, "Please thank your son for his service."  Cry, cry, cry.  I just can't help it.  When we were at Mass the weekend of his basic graduation a lady sitting in front of us stopped to thank Matt.  Chris and Matt were both looking at me like I was crazy because I was crying.  "Are you crying?"  I said, " Sometimes I cry at Mass." 

No comments:

Post a Comment